Bladder cancer is basically the cancer which affects the urinary bladder in a person and is a condition in which the abnormal cells tend to multiply in the bladder uncontrollably. One way to know that you are suffering from Bladder cancer is by spotting blood in the urine. Another symptom of bladder cancer is hematuria. There are quite a few ways to treat bladder cancer if spotted or diagnosed at the right time. One of these ways is through BCG therapy. Let’s get to know more about BCG therapy for bladder cancer:
How BCG Therapy Works for Bladder Cancer?
BCG or Bacillus Calmette Guerin is a therapy which treats bladder cancer because it stimulates the response of the immune system and this is then used to kill the cancerous cells in the bladder. The main use of BCG is to prevent the noninvasive bladder cancer cells to return back, apart from treating the cancer in its early stages. In most cases, BCG therapy is applied after the tumor has been removed from the urinary bladder using another treatment method which is known as Transurethral Resection or TUR surgery.
Side Effects of BCG Therapy for Bladder Cancer:
While BCG therapy is quite useful for treating cancer and preventing it from growing back, it is associated with certain side effects as well. The following are the most common ones:
- BCG may cause troubled breathing and even swelling on the face, tongue, throat or the lips.
- Another side effect of BCG therapy is the occurrence of hives allergy.
- In some cases, BCG therapy for bladder cancer may also result in the inflammation of the lung tissue.
- In the case of men, side effects of BCG therapy include infection or inflammation of testicles or the prostate.
- Many times, people who have taken BCG therapy also experience obstruction of the ureters and the contraction of the bladder.
- Fatigue, skin rashes and joint pain are some of the other side effects of BCG therapy for bladder cancer.
- Some of the other commonly observed side effects of BCG therapy include vomiting, nausea and loss of appetite.
- Pain during urination or a burning sensation while urinating is also one of the possible side effects of this treatment.
It is important to understand that many people do not experience any side effects at all while some may experience a few of the above. If you happen to have any side effects, then you must contact your doctor.
Photo Credit By: en.wikipedia.org