February 4 is World Cancer day and this Reuters article collates a number of sobering cancer related statistics:
- The number of cancer deaths may increase 45% by year 2030 globally (from 7.9 million to 11.5 million deaths) due in large part to an aging population
- Smoking is responsible for 1.8 million cancer deaths per year
- Being overweight, obese or physically inactive are collectively responsible for 274,000 cancer deaths.
- Excessive alcohol intake is responsible for 351,000 cancer deaths per year
- HPV responsible for 235,000 cancer deaths
- Lung, stomach, liver, colon and breast cancer are responsible for most cancer deaths