Among many other prevention methods of cervical cancer, one of the best ways is to make certain dietary changes. By eating some particular foods like fruits and vegetables, the risk of development of cervical cancer can be greatly reduced. What happens is that most cases of cervical cancer are caused due to infection of Human Papillomavirus or HPV.
Many doctors and experts believe that foods high on antioxidants can fight off the HPV infection and thereby prevent cervical cancer. The following are some of the foods which can help prevent cervical cancer:
- Experts believe that eating a plant based diet which mostly comprises of vegetables, beans, fruits and whole grains can greatly eliminate or minimize the risk of cervical cancer.
- Many flavonoids which are found in fruits and vegetable are major contributors to prevent cervical cancer. Some of the flavonoid rich foods include black beans, apples, broccoli, asparagus, cranberries, cabbage, garlic, lettuce, Brussels sprouts, garlic and lettuce. You can also include foods like soy, spinach, lima beans and onions in your diet as these too are high on flavonoids.
- Folates too are helpful in preventing cervical cancer to the maximum extent and hence having a folate rich diet is considered great. What folate does is that it helps the body in stopping the HPV infection and prevents it from coming back too. Some folate rich foods which everyone must include in their daily diet are lentils, avocados, chickpeas, strawberries, lettuce and orange juice.
- Apart from flavonoids and folates, even carotenoids are considered very effective as far as prevention of cervical cancer is concerned. Carotenoids are high on vitamin A content and some of the carotenoid rich foods are pumpkin, sweet potatoes, winter squash and carrots.
- Studies suggest that you must add a variety of colors to your diet to stay away from the risk of cervical cancer and eat a well balanced and nutrition rich diet.
Meal Suggestions for Prevention of Cervical Cancer:
Breakfast: include orange juice, granola, yogurt and cantaloupe in your breakfast everyday.
Lunch: for lunch, try having veggie sandwich which cheese, carrots, mushrooms, red peppers and zucchini
Dinner: as far as dinner is concerned, you can include tosses romaine salad, whole wheat pasta, black beans, chicken and diced tomatoes.
Having this meal or a similar meal everyday can really result in prevention of cervical cancer in women. But one must also avoid smoking, keep one sex partner and get vaccinated against HPV for further prevention.
Photo Credit By: buzzle.com