Find out all the information you were looking for regarding the Prostate cancer treatment as well as the clinical trial. Know about this disease origin too.
Prostate cancer develops most frequently in men over fifty. This cancer can only occur in men, as the prostate is exclusively of the male reproductive tract.
In the United States it is the most common type of cancer in men, where it is responsible for more male deaths than any other cancer, except lung cancer.
Prostate cancer is a malignant tumor that begins growing in the prostate gland. A male hormone called testosterone can stimulate the growth of hormone-dependent prostate cancer cells. It can spread from the prostate to nearby lymph nodes, bones, or other organs. This spread is called metastasis.
Did you know this! Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in men. But the good news is that survival rates have improved a great deal. The 5-year survival rates in the past 20 years, for all stages of this disease combined have increased from 67% to 99%. That’s really good news!
Treatments! This disease can be treated with surgery, radiation therapy, occasionally chemotherapy, hormone therapy, or some combination of these.
The extent of spread, appearance under the microscope, and response of the cancer to initial treatment, the age and underlying health of the man are important in determining the outcome of the disease.
Clinical Trial! You and your doctors after careful consideration can take the decision to participate in a prostate cancer clinical trial. By participating, you will receive excellent care.
You may be treated by leaders in the field. In this disease research you will gain access to medicines not available to others and have the satisfaction of knowing you helped make a difference.
Patient volunteers have clearly defined rights. If you participate, you can decide to leave the study at any time. You and your treatment will be given close.
You have the right to be informed about what will happen, and nothing will be done without your written consent. This is the best part of the prostate cancer clinical trial.
These Prostate cancer clinical trials are very carefully regulated. Each trial must be approved by a hospital investigational review board (IRB) as well as the FDA.
To look at the research plans multiple committees are required, both for scientific merit and to safeguard the patients by evaluating any potential risks.
Prostate Cancer Clinical Trial Results till date are listed as follows:
- An extract of the saw palmetto plant was no more effective than a placebo in reducing symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
- Higher radiation dose reduces recurrence of Local Prostate Cancer
- Radiation after surgery cuts risk of recurrence
- Surgery helps relieve spinal cord compression caused by Metastatic Cancer
- Frozen glove reduces skin and nail damage from Docetaxel Chemotherapy
- Chemotherapy regimens that include the drug docetaxel extend median survival by two to three months in patients with advanced prostate cancer that is no longer responsive to hormone therapy.
- Combination Hormone/Vaccine Therapy for Prostate Cancer may benefit patients whose disease returns
- Men with localized prostate cancer who underwent radical prostatectomy were less likely to have their cancer spread and less likely to die (from the disease or any cause) than men who were managed by
- Men with low PSA (prostate specific antigen) levels on screening tests can still have prostate cancer, according to a study
So now you all got good information on prostate cancer and prostate cancer clinical trial as well.