Everything that we put into our body will have an effect on our risk for developing a number of deadly cancers. With the growing number of cancer victims, many people don’t realize that this can also be caused by a lifestyle of unhealthy eating.
It has been shown that at least 40% of all cancers have a nutritional connection, and when combined with other risk factors such as smoking and lack of exercise, this becomes even greater. A cancer nutrition diet can serve as your shield against all forms of cancer.
You might not even realize it but you are actually consuming food that goes against the cancer nutrition principle and fueling the growth of cancer cells in your body by what you are eating and drinking.
Being able to eat wisely with a cancer nutrition diet can greatly reduce your risk for the disease. Here are some important ways you can introduce this to your diet:
- A plant-based diet has been shown to be the most effective foundation in cancer nutrition. A diet rich in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and beans is loaded with the right vitamins and minerals to boost your immune system and fight cancer. The general principle for cancer nutrition to follow when deciding how to incorporate these into your diet is, the less processed these foods are, then the better, because cooking and preserving strips them of their nutritional value.
- Fiber is also essential in cancer nutrition, which you can benefit from consuming fruits and vegetables. Because fiber plays an important role in flushing out toxins from your body, it helps to excrete cancerous compounds that may get stuck in your system and cause harm in the long run when they build up. One way to add fiber for your cancer nutrition is by switching to brown or wheat bread and brown rice, instead of highly-processed white bread, pasta, and rice.
- Reducing your meat intake will also be an important tool in fighting cancer. It has been shown that vegetarians are about 50% less prone to developing cancer, as compared to those who consume meat on a regular basis. This is because meat lacks severely in fiber, which is essential to cancer nutrition, and also has higher levels of saturated fat which is prone to many kinds of cancer. However, you don’t need to completely cut out meat from your diet for cancer nutrition, just remember to follow these tips:
- Minimize your consumption of meat
- Consume red meat sparingly as this is high in saturated fat content
- Use meat as a flavoring or side dish instead of being the entrée
- Choose lean meat options such as chicken, turkey, or fish, and buy organic whenever possible
- Cancer nutrition also means that you should consume foods that are rich in antioxidants, such as berries. Consuming fruits and vegetables in all colors is also great for boosting your immune system. Each color has its own cancer nutrition value which you can benefit from.