Cancer comes in different forms, types and stages. It can attack anyone regardless of age, gender or race. Of these types, colon cancer is common among those over the age of 60 and follows a diet that has less fiber content.
Considered as a lifestyle disease, it can be treated if detected early and you are sometimes declared cancer-free. Colon cancer has five different stages, from 0-4.
Colon cancer stage 4 is known by its other name as Dukes D colon cancer. This stage is considered to be at its most advanced. Cancer cells have already spread through the lymph nodes and to the different parts of your body like the liver and the lungs. However, in some cases the cancer cells have only metastasized to a single organ.
In most cases, patients with colon cancer stage 4 have a life expectancy of about five years.
However, treatments may extend or lessen the survival depending on how your body responds to medication. In fact, doctors are now trying to find better ways in combating colon cancer stage 4 by enhancing their treatment methods.
Colon cancer stage 4 symptoms
If you are with colon cancer stage 4, you may experience any of the following symptoms:
- Diarrhea and constipation
- Presence of blood in stool
- Abdominal pains
- Gas and cramping
- Unexplained weight loss
Time and again, cancer of any kind is curable when detected at an early stage. If you experience any of the above symptoms, it is important that you should undergo consultation and series of tests. Your doctors know the best treatment depending on its stage.
Today’s modern technology has provided colon cancer stage 4 patients with different treatment options. These treatments may come in the form of the following:
- Surgery. Removal of the affected portions of the liver, lungs or ovaries where the cancer has metastasized. This is also known as surgical resection.
- Chemotherapy. Purposely to prolong and arrest the growth of cancer cells, chemotherapy is administered to colon cancer stage 4 patients to increase their survival. Studies further showed that chemotherapy combined with radiation has significant effects on the patients.
- Clinical trials. Colon cancer stage 4 patients may submit themselves for clinical trials wherein they have better access to new and advanced medicines.
In colon cancer stage 4, survival rate is expected to be 8% to 15%. In fact, this figure has tremendously increased over the years because of advancement in the technology and people’s awareness of the disease.
Detection of early signs of colon cancer stage 4 will increase your chances of survival. More importantly, developing a healthy lifestyle and eating the right kind of foods will also curtail the growth of colon cancer stage 4.
As much as possible, eat more fiber-enriched foods like grains, wheat, fruits and vegetables.
More importantly, remember that cancer is not only a disease of the body but of the spirit and the mind as well. Having a strong determination to live coupled with the right attitude, colon cancer stage 4 patients may well be on their way to recovery.